We are grateful to our friends at Landor Travel Publications for permission to show the news feed from their “6Things” website which you can access directly HERE
6 Things About the UK Today
- The Modern Fire Extinguisher June 8, 2023The first fire extinguisher ever patented was in 1723 by English chemist Ambrose Godfrey. However, it is the superior device created by fellow Englishman Captain George William Manby in 1818 that is the ancestor of the modern fire extinguisher.
- Wensleydale Cheese - once made by monks June 8, 2023Wensleydale is a crumbly and mild hard cheese originally produced in Wensleydale, North Yorkshire.
- The Saltdean Lido - back with a splash! June 8, 2023Described by Historic England as one of the seven wonders of the English seaside, Saltdean Lido just along the coast from Brighton is the only Grade II* listed lido in the UK, and is renowned for its fantastic Art Deco architecture. It was threatened with redevelopment in 2010 until a local campaign was set up to […]
- Waxwing - a striking winter visitor June 8, 2023This very smart and distinctive bird with its tufted head is not a British resident but sometimes appears in large flocks in Britain in the winter, typically gathering in berry-bearing trees and bushes.
- The meadow buttercup - a pastoral pleasure June 8, 2023The word buttercup is likely to conjure up images of perfect sunny summer leisure days, due to the vibrant sunlike colour of the flowers, and its preference for lush well-watered grassland and meadows that are perfect for picnics.
- Marianne North - botanical artist and adventurer June 8, 2023Marianne North was a prolific Victorian botanical artist known for her plant and landscape paintings, her extensive foreign travels, her writings, her plant discoveries and her gallery at Kew Gardens in London.